By shaambhavi Health & Personal Care
Losing weight is a long as well as challenging journey. It can become frustrating at times especially when low self-esteem, sadness and boredom settle in. A lot of factors contribute to not being able to lose weight. These are low support from the family, low confidence, lack of interest and inactiveness.
While the nutrition plans focus over what exactly your diet should be, they are not of much help. They are ineffective when it comes to retaining the interest of the individual. A relatively new concept of hypnotherapy has come up in the recent years. By using hypnosis, you can change the way you feel about your diet.
The hypnotherapy is effective in helping you stick to your dietary schedule and exercising regimen by generating positive thoughts over your weight loss plan. This ensures that you are able to lose weight happily. However hard it may be to turn down your favourite dish for something healthier, hypnotherapy helps you combat your temptations by changing your thinking patterns and gain control over your cravings. This relives you of the unnecessary guilt and feelings of depression you get after you indulge in cravings and hunger pangs.
The hypnotherapy targets the unconscious mind through its powerful techniques of suggestion. A hypnotherapist will help you in developing a new and positive relationship with your weight loss schedule. The main objective is to help you develop confidence about your body, transform any negative thoughts about your eating habits and assist you in losing weight in a healthy and responsible manner without affecting your emotional well-being.
How does hypnotherapy really work?
Hypnotherapy is becoming well accepted and popular. However, a lot of people still have their doubts.
Practicing hypnosis will not:
- Make you out of control.
- Make you sleep during the sessions.
- Force you to do anything against your will.
- Erase any of your memories.
- Force you to reveal your secrets.
It is worthwhile to note that hypnotherapy is not an occult art. It does not exploit you and out power you. You will be in charge of your emotions and strength during the sessions.
The working of hypnotherapy
· The hypnotherapist you will work with is essentially your coach. He is responsible for guiding you into a deep state of relaxation.
· Once he achieves your body and mind in the relaxation mode, your unconscious mind can be accessed. This portion of the brain works continuously but we are not aware of its mechanisms which include instincts which are innate and survival characters.
· This step is followed by soothing scripts which aim to explore the person’s reasons for overeating. It also suggests new techniques to think through visual aids. You have the authority to decline any suggestion which does not appeal you.
Will I benefit from hypnotherapy?
This is probably one of the most commonly asked doubts from the hypnotherapists. However, it is hard to find this out without trying personally. The experiences may vary from individual to individual but yes, it does create awareness about the good and bad diet and exercise.
Supported by Chambless and Hollen in 1998, hypnotherapy was stated as an effective technique for weight loss.
Hypnotherapy techniques for losing weight
Although every case bears different characteristics, yet, some common suggestions encountered during your therapy sessions are:
· The level of fitness the individual wants to achieve.
· Imagining your own self after achieving the results.
· Imagining your body to obtain the goals effortlessly.
Such visualisations and others as decided by your trainer will empower you to control your dietary choices. This will help in turn to pave way for a healthy diet and exercise regimen which in the long run will help you reduce weight.