By shaambhavi Health & Personal Care
Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese technique whose origins can be traced back to at least 2,500 years. It is insertion of needles in distinct parts of the body and helps in keeping people healthy by improving bodily functions. It aids in natural healing up of the body by curing pain and suffering. It can relieve the body of pain, nausea, vomiting and aches after chemotherapy and surgery.
How does acupuncture work?
The human body has channels of energy known as meridians. These flow through the whole body for the purpose of nurturing and irrigating the tissues of the body. The acupuncture points act upon these meridians only. They resolve the obstructions at these points and restore the regular flow in these meridians.
A number of studies have demonstrated that using needles during acupuncture trigger certain biological responses which are local in nature. This activates the various physiological pathways which help in regulating the energy flow. The acupuncture technique is thus very beneficial for body’s internal mechanisms like digestion, absorption, production of energy and the energy cycle.
The acupuncture therapy energizes the nervous system of the body into discharging hormones into the brain, spinal cord and various muscles. This enhances energy and biochemical balance which is responsible for the natural healing abilities of the body. This ensures the physiological as well as psychological well-being of an individual.
Does acupuncture have any side-effects?
· The most common injury that has been often reported from this therapy is the accidental puncture of the lungs. This may result in partial collapse of the organs causing pneumothorax.
· Another type of side-effect is infection and viral hepatitis which is caused by unclean and reused needles.
However, it might be noted that most of these injuries are caused by lack of proper training of the therapist. Care should be taken that the therapy centre should be clean and hygienic. Also, a lot of people feel that the needles hurt a lot. But, the pain is only for a fraction and is not as severe as the injections. This is because the needles are very fine, unlike the doctor’s syringes.
The benefits of acupuncture
- The acupuncture works wonders on eliminating the chronic back pain, arthritis and other body aches.
- Acupuncture is also beneficial to people suffering from insomnia and sleeping disorders.
- Acupuncture helps in controlling addictions like alcoholism, smoking and drug addictions.
- Acupuncture exerts a holistic method of treatment. It eliminates all health issues and disorders.
- Acupuncture ensures that the gradually declining levels of energy due to old age, stress or anxiety are replenished.
- Acupuncture therapy strengthens the circular system and enhances body’s immunity.
Following acupuncture regularly is beneficial as it reduces risks of contracting diseases and replaces dependency on allopathic medicines.